Project completed in 2005
- India Lead Zinc Information Centre (ILZIC), India
- Central Electrochemical Research Institute (CECRI), India
- Ocean Engineering Centre, Indian Institute of Technology (OEC/IIT), India
- Centro de Investigacion y de Estudios Avanzados del IPN, Unidad Merida, (CINVESTAV), Mexico
- University of South Florida, Canada
The project involves a comparison of the performance of galvanized reinforcing bars in concrete with those under galvanic cathodic protection. Project components include laboratory and field tests to establish which of the two methods is more acceptable, both in terms of protection against corrosion and cost, and with respect to specific applications and environmental conditions, for example use in bridges or buildings. Other project components include a techno-economic evaluation of results and technology dissemination and promotion of investment in the technologies developed under the project.
The research in Mexico on galvanised rebar is conducted under the supervision of ILZRO by Dr. Luis Maldonnado at the Centro de Investigacion y de Estudios Avanzados del IPN, Unidad Merida, (CINESTAV). This Institute is very well suited both in terms of location and experience.