Senior Technical Assistance Facility Manager (re-Advertised)
The Common Fund for Commodities (CFC) is perhaps the only UN affiliated International financial institution, with 101 member states, working as an impact investment fund for the commodity dependent developing countries. With its headquarters in Amsterdam, since 1989, CFC have been instrumental in bringing over a billion-dollar worth of investments for SMEs and smallholder farmers in the developing world.
CFC now intends to hire a Senior Technical Assistance Facility Manager to lead the Technical Assistance (TA) Facility Management team with its goals of external service provision and the expansion of networks within the financial service providers active in agricultural development in Africa and Latin America.
Applicants who have already applied for this position need not reapply, their application remains under consideration for this role.
This position is being offered initially for a two year period with the possibility of renewal/extension. Considering our future in a post pandemic era, greater flexibility, attention to sustainability and the need for innovations are acutely required to discharge the responsibilities of this position.
The CFC pays an attractive tax free salary in line with United Nations grade levels, with additional benefits. This position shall be offered at the P2/P3 level based on experience and background of the successful candidate.
A successful applicant is expected to work for poverty stricken vulnerable communities with the spirit of a mission to create positive impacts, not merely to do a routine job. A deeper sense of additionality, partnership and innovation (API), in this globalized world, are nonnegotiable requirements for anyone working in the CFC.
Duties, Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The Senior TA Facility Manager will lead a small team of two/three full time staff with additional support from CFC’s Impact Officer and financial administration staff. S/he will directly report to the CFC Chief Operations Officer and be responsible for operational and strategic leadership of the TA Facility Management team. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Project development & management: develop, structure and draft TA projects proposals incl. budget for portfolio investees of impact investing funds focusing on the agricultural sector;
- Draft Requests for Proposals/Terms of References for consultancy services, issue and evaluate tenders in accordance with different established tendering procedures;
- Negotiate and draft service contracts with external consultants;
- Manage consultants and portfolio investees receiving TA;
- Travel for project identification, development, and monitoring;
- Planning: draft TA Facility Annual Budgets and Quarterly Budgets;
- Reporting: prepare TA Facility Quarterly Reports, Semi-Annual Progress Reports, and other reports produced regularly by the TA Facility Management Team;
- Writing impact stories to increase the visibility of the work of the CFC;
- Representation: confidently represent the TA Facility Management Team in teleconferences, Board meetings, and other formal TA related meetings, conferences, and vis-a-vis external third parties and prepare and present documents in those fora;
- Outreach: Ability to build partnerships and collaborations across the stakeholders;
- Maintain contact and information flow with Investment Fund Advisors, Compliance Advisors, and Investment Fund Boards, other multilateral organizations as well as regularly liaising with external legal advisors and internally with other CFC departments;
- Ability to share insights and lessons learned with the Co-workers/Project Managers/ Management for sustained development of the working culture of CFC;
- Willing and able to discharge any other responsibilities assigned by the
The principal responsibilities and tasks of the desired applicant will be further detailed during the selection process.
Furthermore, the applicant should show knowledge of, or willingness to rapidly acquaint with, the following specific fields:
- Project management;
- Impact investment;
- Tropical agriculture/forestry, value chains and farming systems, agricultural finance;
- Organization of smallholder farmers/SMEs/outgrower schemes;
- Corporate Social and Environmental Management Systems (SEMS);
- Technical Assistance Project development and proposal writing;
- Impact monitoring, measurement and evaluation methodologies;
- Business development.
- Masters level education in Agriculture / Forestry or International Development / Relations / Business / Project Management / Impact Investment / Sustainable Development / Finance.
- Proven ability to understand the opportunities and challenges faced by agribusiness companies and stakeholders in Sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America.
- 3+ years’ experience in team leadership positions.
- Good negotiating and communication skills, ability to perceive problems and react quickly to effect solutions.
- Good working knowledge and understanding of Microsoft Office software (e.g., Excel) and ability to analyse data.
- Working within budget guidelines and promoting ways to add value and reduce costs within the team.
- Could work virtually or ability to adapt without compromising quality.
- Performance manage, develop, train and ensure efficient utilisation of staff.
- Manage the staffing, development, performance and outcomes of assigned team reporting to the position.
- Knowledge on articulating/drafting social media promotion to provide greater visibility to her/his work.
- Skills in writing impact stories with vivid empathy for the poverty-stricken people.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate professionally.
- Highly organized and detail oriented with the ability to manage priorities that may shift frequently.
- Knowledge of Green Recovery and Sustainability Programs to alleviate poverty in a post pandemic era.
- Demonstrable experience in managing projects, and preferably service contracts (e.g. consultants), and ability to deliver according to agreed-upon timelines.
- Strong self-motivation, self-driven and with excellent ability to work independently and under remote leadership as well as in diverse teams across different time zones.
- Strong team player with excellent client service orientation and openness to feedback and new ideas.
- Experience of networking and relationship building with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English. Preferably good command of written and spoken French. Good command of Spanish is considered an additional advantage.
- Ability to do frequent international travel for work.
- It is important to note that the CFC can only employ nationals from its Member States. For a full list of Member States please refer to the “About us” section of the CFC website.
The closing date for applications is 18:00hrs (CET) on Friday, 14 May 2021. Kindly note that contact will only be made with shortlisted candidates.
Applicants from developing countries and female candidates are especially encouraged to apply for this position.
The CFC deserves the right to cancel this call for application at any time without showing any reason.
For more information please click on the link (Terms of Reference) below.