Skip to main content
Side event

CFC hosts side event on “BEST PRACTICES” of Commodity Sector Developments

During the proceedings of the 35th Governing Council of the Common Fund for Commodities (CFC), a side event was organised at the side-line on 21 November 2023, at the Marriott, The Hague, The Netherlands. The purpose of the event was to inform and inspire the member states, other member of the civil society, members of media etc on how commodities could be produced, processed, traded to bring more income for the producers and local level processors. This event was organised for the first time as proposed by the Republic of Kenya during 34th Governing Council in 2022. 

CFC believes in doing things in the best possible ways. At a time when the demand for both the food and nutrition security are all time high, we need to streamline processes and productions that have been worked out through trial and error and are found to be the most sensible way to proceed.

Opening Session:

The opening session was graced by notable dignitaries, including H.E. Ms. Margaret Shava, who delivered an address of welcome. H.E. Amb. Riaz Hamidullah from Bangladesh provided insightful opening remarks on how innovations could make a significant difference. The session was further addressed by H.E. Ms. Miriam Black Sow, Ambassador of Uganda, who spoke about the Common Fund as driver of change in commodities and the importance of looking at issues of commodities and poverty from the realist view of pragmatism as applicable in the life and livings of rural people. The feature presentation by Dr. Peter Gildemacher, Executive Director of the Sepia Potato Foundation (The Netherlands), on "Stateoftheart Science for Productive Agribusiness in Africa" was particularly impactful, shedding light on innovative scientific advancements in African potato sector.

Showcasing Project Case

1. "Exotic EPZ" - Exotic EPZ have been working to sustainably provide the world with quality products for healthy and happy living. Presented by Ms. Jane Maigua from Kenya, this project focuses on the sustainable production of macadamia nuts, showcasing a model for eco-friendly and profitable agribusiness. 

2. "Classical Handmade Products" - Mr. Md. Tauhid Bin Abdus Salam from Bangladesh shared insights into the world of handicrafts, illustrating how traditional crafts can contribute to economic growth through gender mainstreaming. The unique feature of the Classical Handmade is its sustainable practices of using non-traditional fibre sources like bamboo, jute, sea grass, banana leaf, water hyacinth, elephant grass etc to bring additional income for the rural people.

3. "Meridia BV” Meridia has been working to accelerate the achievement on full traceability and transparency, living income, and regenerative agriculture in rural hinterlands. Ms. Beatrice Moulianitaki presented a fascinating case on land mapping across Ghana, Indonesia, and Cote divoire, demonstrating the importance of accurate land documentation in fostering agricultural development. 

4. "Shalem Ltd." – Shalem is the combination of hard work, innovations, and perseverance of an indomitable agripreneurs named Ms. Ruth Kinoti from Kenya. Ms Kinoti herself elaborated on how CFC’s investments have helped her high-value grain processing, revealing the potential of agro-processing in enhancing food security and generating income. 

5. "Moyee Coffee" - Mr. Jasper Meewis from The Netherlands introduced this unique coffee social enterprise, highlighting its role in promoting fair trade and sustainable coffee production. He went on to elaborate on how almost 90% of coffee goes to a handful of large multinationals, leaving only 10% of the value of coffee within the country of origin. While in Moyee coffee they are promised to keep no less than 50 %, as they practice roasting and packaging in the country of origin.

A Step Towards a Sustainable Future

The event not only provided a platform for sharing best practices but also urged all to foster a dialogue among stakeholders from various sectors so that more incomes could be retained in the country of origin. It underlined the crucial role of the commodity sector in achieving sustainable development, economic growth, and inclusive prosperity. The discussions and presentations offered innovative solutions and strategies that could be replicated and scaled up globally. The insights and initiatives shared here are expected to resonate and inspire actions across the globe, ushering in an era of sustainable prosperity powered by the commodity sector.

This event was presided over by H.E. Ms. Margaret Shava, Ambassador of Kenya to the Netherlands.

All News